Work Experience & Representative Case History
Will's prior experience includes defending insurance companies in property & casualty cases involving bad faith insurance claims and unfair settlement practices at Bracewell LLP (2003-2009) where he served as coverage counsel for AIG, Fortis, UniCare, WellPoint and Assurant, along with their various affiliated insurance companies. Subsequently, Will chaired the plaintiff-insurance litigation group at Clark, Burnett, Love & Lee GP (now known as Clark, Love & Hutson), assisting numerous commercial and individual policyholders in state and federal court (2009-2017) and serving as Co-Liaison Counsel across several counties for thousands of lawsuits arising out of Hurricane Ike commercial insurance claims. Will's notable career achievements include the following:
- Achieved a favorable eight figure confidential settlement on behalf of the insured/owner of two apartment complexes stemming from significant property damage and business interruption losses. Involved a resolution in the insured’s favor of the insurer’s incorrect application of the policy’s deductible provision (before Judge David Hittner of the Southern District of Texas).
- Achieved a favorable eight figure confidential settlement on behalf of the insured/owner of numerous apartment complexes stemming from significant property damage and business interruption losses sustained to approximately 20 apartment complexes. Involved the successful resolution of a unique policy interpretation issue at summary judgement by the state court (on the application of several deductibles within the policy), which no Texas court had ever addressed.
- Achieved a favorable seven figure confidential settlement on behalf of the insureds/owners of 8 multi-family apartment complexes stemming from an insurance broker’s failure to place a layer of coverage within a multi-tiered insurance policy with six layers of coverage. It was reported as the largest settlement paid by an insurance broker in Texas over the last 10 years, and the largest ever paid by this particular insurance broker.
- Assisted the Plaintiff Steering Committee on behalf of policyholders in the drafting and presentation of the case management and discovery orders, which governed the large majority of Hurricane Ike commercial and residential insurance disputes in Galveston, Harris and Brazoria County.
- In an issue of first impression under Texas law, a federal district court in the Southern District of Texas agreed with our commercial policyholder that timely payment of an appraisal award by an insurer did not prevent the insured from pursuing its claims for bad faith and Texas Insurance Code Violations. Intermodal Equipment Logistics, LLC and Sea Train Logistics, LLC v. Hartford Accident and Indemnity Company, No. G-10-458 (S.D. Tex.—Galveston Div., May 24, 2012). This decision was a significant victory for Texas policyholders, and has subsequently been cited by counsel for policyholders across Texas.
- Represented over 1,000 individual farmers and large ethanol plants, who claimed that Syngenta’s marketing of its genetically modified corn seeds effectively shut corn producers out of the Chinese market. Involved unique insurance coverage issues that were in dispute. Assisted in negotiating a $1.4 billion resolution with Syngenta in 2017.
A sampling of Will's past commercial first-party property insurance settlements include the following:
- *$13,115,000 Apartment Complexes – Wind Damage & Business Interruption
- *$9,320,000 Group of Commercial Structures – Wind Damage
- $3,450,000 Group of Rental Properties – Wind Damage & Business Interruption
- $3,079,000 Apartment Complex – Wind Damage & Business Interruption
- $2,250,000 Commercial Building – Wind Damage
- *$1,500,000 Hotel – Wind Damage
- $1,500,000 Apartment Complex – Wind Damage & Business Interruption
- $1,400,000 Church – Wind Damage
- $1,155,000 Commercial Building – Wind Damage
- $1,150,000 Club/Restaurant – Wind and Fire Damage
- $1,068,000 Apartment Complex – Wind Damage
- $1,000,000 Apartment Complex – Wind Damage
- $985,000 Commercial Strip Center – Wind and Hail Damage
- $950,000 Hotel – Wind Damage
- $862,000 Group of Commercial Buildings – Wind Damage & Business Interruption
- $850,000 Commercial Strip Center – Wind Damage
* Denotes settlement amount in excess of that policy’s limits.
- University of Houston, J.D. magna cum laude
- University of Texas, B.B.A.
- Southern District of Texas - District Court
- Eastern District of Texas - District Court
- Western District of Texas - District Court
- Northern District of Texas - District Court
- District of Puerto Rico - District Court